Sven Luther <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 12:43:06PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 11:36:30 +0100, Bastian Blank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>> > I'm not longer interrested in communicating errors in software,
>> > which is not able to catch errors but reports silent success
>> > instead. This is the fourth bug with this result in the last 6
>> > months or so.
>>
>>         And none of which you report. If you can't put together a
>
> Notice that this is the same problem as the guy with 2.6.11 reported.
>
>>  coherent bug report, you can't expect issues to get resolved.
>>  Frankly, k-p works fine when used as expected -- linux-2.6 tries to
>>  mould it in a fashion which is not exactly supported, by overriding
>>  bits and pieces, and I am not surprised when things do not work as
>>  you try to force them to.
>
> The real problem is that you don't really integrate well with the kernel team,
> and have your own agenda. This is also true from the other side though.

>From personal experience I must say that bugs reported against
kernel-package get manojs attention fast and get fixed fast.

Bugs against the linux-2.6 source get ignored or you get comments like
"breaks cross building" and any request of the error or a build log
gets ignored.

> What we really need is a strategy where you work better with the kernel team,
> where we have more communication (also applies to Bastian), and where the
> stated goal of kernel-package is to build both older kernel and the kernel
> packages.
>
> This would be a good starting point to take Jonas idea again, and move the
> postinst scripts out of kernel-package and the linux-images, and into
> separate package ?
>
>>         Even then, I would respond to bug reports which show
>>  misbehavior by kernel-package -- which have not exactly been
>>  forthcoming, have they?
>>
>>         manoj
>>  tired of people trying to bend k-p into doing things it is not
>>  supposed to do, and then complaining when they fail
>
> Well, to be honest, it goes both way.

I think the blame is much more on the kernel team than manoj. He
doesn't have a crystal ball to see linux-2.6 problems relevant to
kernel-package. The team has to report them first. Only then can you
have a discussion about the problems and find solutions.

> Friendly,
>
> Sven Luther

MfG
        Goswin