2008/6/29 maximilian attems <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Sat, 28 Jun 2008, Jonathan Dray wrote:
>
> > I followed your advice and added the necessary repositories to get the
> > 2.6.26-rc8 kernel.
> > It works great and is 5 to 10 times faster.
> >
> > However I still get some issues :
> >
> >   - The computer freeze after a few minutes of inactivity (I deactivated
> all
> > hibernation and the kind functions). The elapsed time after which the
> > computer freeze seems to be random.
> >     When it hangs the caps lock blue led blinks.

I must have gone too fast and missed something.
I have tested several installations of debian testing :

1. *From an amd64 debian testing netinst CD : *
    Which meens a full 64bits system => kernel and packages.
    Then, I upgraded to a 2.6.26-rc8-amd64 kernel and experienced some
freezing issues

2. *From a 386 debian testing netinst CD :*
    I installed the base system which is shipped with a 2.6.24-486 kernel.
(needed noapic, nolapic and irqpoll options)
    Then, I upgraded to a 2.6.26-rc8-amd64 kernel.
    So only the kernel space is in 64bits ? am I wrong on this point ?
(I'm really not sure here :(, my understanding of 64bits systems on linux is
very limited)

    I let my laptop on all the night and it was still running this
morning...

> >   - The screen brightness goes up automatically after a few minutes !
> (ACPI
> > related ?)
> >
> >   - I have no sound. The sound card is recognized but no sound is played.
> >     ATI Technologies Inc RV630/M76 audio device [Radeon HD 2600 Series]
>
> you probably have not blacklisted snd-pcsp nor are you using latest
> alsa userspace from unstable, which would do that for you.

I used the latest alsa userspace from unstable (alsa-base, etc. packages)
and blacklisted the snd-pcsp and still no result.
The soundcard is detected and alsa software works fine : alsamixer,
alsactl...
But no sound :(

Last problem with ATI fglrx drivers :
They don't compile on a 2.6.26 kernel on amd64.

More information :
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5136143.html?sid=92ea1477e2c733e1abc3bf4e49a63d99
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24/+bug/239967

See my bug report

> >   - the  wireless card didn't work either. The ath5k couldn't handle my
> > Atheros AR5008 card. I had to compile madwifi latest drivers from svn.
> > (seems pretty unstable !!)
>
> this model is worked on, ath5k is pretty young
>

> thank you for report
> --
> maks

Thank you for the fast reply.