severity 496410 important
thanks

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 10:05:29PM +0400, Dmitry E. Oboukhov wrote:
> Package: cman
> Severity: grave

> Binary-package: cman (2.20080629-1)
>     file: /usr/sbin/fence_egenera

The broken usage is:

        local *egen_log;
        open(egen_log,">/tmp/eglog");
        [...]
        print egen_log "shutdown: $trys    $status\n";
        [...]
        print egen_log "shutdown: crash dump being performed. Waiting\n";
        [...]
        print egen_log "shutdown: $cmd  being called, before open3\n";
        [...]
        print egen_log "shutdown: after calling open3\n";
        [...]
        print egen_log "shutdown: Open3 result: ", @outlines, "\n";
        [...]
        print egen_log "shutdown: Returning from pserver_shutdown with return
code $rtrn\n";

This is, of course, wrong, and subject to symlink attack.  However, I don't
see any way that this can be exploitable for privilege escalation, which is
the standard for 'grave' severity security bugs: it doesn't allow arbitrary
output to the file, only a finite set of strings which are not valid shell,
cron entries, password/shadow entries, or any other config file that I know
of.

So at best this appears to be a DoS symlink attack; therefore downgrading.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]