Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
>> The boot-kernel (2.6.18) does not detect this keyboard on the HIL bus.
>> It seems the needed .config values are not set when it was built.
>> To solve this problem, the boot kernel needs the "CONFIG_KEYBOARD_HIL_OLD=y"
>> option set.
>> Additionally, all other "HIL" options should be disabled (see below).
>> With those options, the HIL keyboard should work. HIL-Mouse will not be
>> available, but it's not needed either for the installation process.
>> In general, all newer HIL drivers do not work at all, so defaulting back to
>> the old driver should be ok.
>
> The Lenny kernel sets CONFIG_KEYBOARD_HIL_OLD=m, does this still apply?

Moritz, thanks for bringing this up again. I nearly forgot it!

I just tried the netboot image dated 30-10-08 from
http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-hppa/current/images/netboot/2.6/.

Currently the debian installer boots up nicely, but the keyboard is not
functional at all (on machines with HIL keyboard).
My tests with booting via serial console shows, that all what needs to
be done to get those keyboards working now is, to run a
"modprobe hilkbd"
at startup.

Is it possible that someone from the debian-installer teams add this
"modprobe hilkbd" somewhere to the bootup process? This modprobe should
also be carried over to the installed system afterwards.

I'm willing to test any temporary images (preferably netboot images) as
soon as possible.

Helge