Further to my original report I've done some more experiments and
noted that:

- The problem does indeed seem to be file size related. Small images
  and video files do not cause the host controller to die. A transfer
  of four video files totalling over 700MiB did cause the failure.

- The system appears to become loaded and sluggish during the
  transfer. This does not happen when downloading small images from my
  other camera (which is unfortunately incapable of generating such
  large files.) I've not been able to investigate this further yet.