Package: linux-image-2.6.29-1-amd64
Version: 2.6.29-2~snapshot.13298
Severity: normal

        I just ran into this earlier this evening.  It was
happening after trying to download the linux-source-2.6.29
package, and it would only make it through 5-10MB before
everything would die.  Same results as other posters, I couldn't
even ping the local loopback IP.

        Anyway, I started to suspect my firewall for whatever
reason and initially flushed my tables and changed the default
policy to ACCEPT for all three chains.  This didn't fix the
problem.

        At that point I just suspected NF itself.  I started
rmmod'ing things and I got down to nf_conntrack which simply ran
away with one my CPU's and never returned.  That's when I figured
it was something screwy with NF itself.  I commented out my
iptables-restore in /etc/network/interfaces, rebooted the
machine, and everything has worked fine since.

        It's circumstantial obviously, but I'd say it's probably
a safe bet there's something wrong in NF.