On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 11:31 -0600, dann frazier wrote:
[...]
> > It is the intention of the kernel team to:
>
> This sounds more like a "plan" instead of a position statement. imo, a
> position statement should be more along the lines of what we will
> permit and what we won't, as opposed to what we are currently planning
> to work on.

That's true, but the original had this too.  Let's change the title to
"Kernel team plan for handling sourceless firmware".

[...]
> > d. Disable affected drivers in category 1, and in category 2 where
> >    relicensing is impossible
>
> This is the one part where I have a different view - I don't see any
> problem with enabling these drivers and adding request_firmware
> support.

I don't think our views differ significantly.

> We can't redistribute them, but users are free to way their
> own legal risks and install these files from other sources. And to me,
> that's no reason to force them to compile their own kernel.
>
> Of course, I'm not saying that we should consider that work a
> priority but, if provided with a patch (or one is inherited from
> upstream), I don't see why we should reject it.

I agree there's no reason to reject patches.  In cases where a driver
depends on non-free firmware and cannot load it from a separate file at
run-time then we disable it.  It makes sense to prioritise any work we
do based largely on popularity of the hardware and availability of the
firmware to our users.  I compressed that into the sloppy wording in (d)
above.

I agree with all your other proposed clarifications.

Ben.