On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 14:41:24 +0200, Marc Brockschmidt wrote:

> * How many "big" transitions will the upcoming changes cause? When
> should those happen? Can we do something to make them easier?

One more thing.  Intel plans to deprecate userspace mode setting with
their Q4 2009 release (meaning December this year, so probably something
we'll want for squeeze, depending on the freeze date you pick).  This
means the intel X driver won't work with lenny's kernel, so we might
have to figure out an upgrade path somehow (which might be to make the
driver fall back to the vesa driver if it doesn't find a
modesetting-capable kernel).  This might also mean that we'll want to
turn kms on by default in the debian kernel, or have
xserver-xorg-video-intel install a file in /etc/modprobe.d/ to set
i915.modeset.

cc:ing debian-kernel as a heads-up.

Cheers,
Julien