On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 20:33:00 +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:

> > This is not for the kernel team to do.
> >
> FWIW, this is done for intel in experimental, probably soon in unstable.
> For radeon the decision whether to enable kernel mode setting by default
> for squeeze is still to be made.

One issue that showed up is that i915 isn't getting loaded by udev,
because /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf contains:

# This directive blacklists all devices which are members of the display class.
# It has the main effect of preventing udev from autoloading the fb drivers.
# vendor, device, subsystem_vendor, subsystem_device, class, class, class
install pci:v*d*sv*sd*bc03sc*i* /bin/true

So right now it gets loaded by the initramfs if video=i915 is in the
kernel command line, or by X when it starts otherwise.

One possible way to fix this, I guess, would be to replace this
blacklist entry with a list of blacklisted fb drivers, to allow i915
(and later radeon and nouveau) being loaded automatically on boot.  Is
this feasible?  Are there other/better solutions?

Cheers,
Julien