On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 03:10 +0000, Alter Ego wrote:
> Package: linux-2.6
> Version: 2.6.32-5
> Justification: breaks the whole system

That means 'breaks any system it is installed on', which is not actually
the case.

> Severity: critical
>
> After last "aptitude full-upgrade" the new kernel
> "linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686" was installed on my Debian squeeze system.
>
> But every time I boot from the refered new kernel, I see the following
> error message at the very beginning of the boot process:
>
> "pci 0000:02:05.0: BAR 6: address space collision on of device
> [0xfeaa0000-0xfeabffff]"

This message is very likely harmless and unrelated to the hang.

> I also get that message by running the following command after booting:
>
> dmesg | grep -i collision
>
> After showing that message, the system boots apparently normal and I'm
> able to graphically login via Gnome or LXDE.
>
> But, after using the system for some minutes (it varies... could be 10
> m, 30 m...) the system hangs completely, to the point that I can't even
> kill X server (even via Ctrl+Alt+Backspace or Alt+SysRq+K) or start
> another TTY console.
> Also the "Num Lock" and "Caps Lock" lights on the keyboard start blinking.
>
> So the only option is to turn off the computer by pressing the button on
> the computer case!
[...]

Can you try setting up a netconsole to capture information about the
crash?  Netconsole setup is explained in
<http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt>.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
You can't have everything.  Where would you put it?