On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 15:24 -0300, Jorge Eduardo Birck wrote:
> Ok, this bug is fixed in non Xen-specific packages
> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=516374)

The "120 seconds" message is a very generic symptom which can have lots
of root causes. As Ben notes towards the end of the bug that particular
bug has basically become useless because so many different root causes
have been mixed together.

> , how about
> the Xen-specific kernels, how to use a non-xen kernel in 64 xen
> servers? How to keep it stable?
>
> There's a lot of people using Xen and Debian, how is the best solution
> for a stable (production) kernel? (Xen+Lenny) ? Use the 2.6.32-10-xen
> sid kernel in production servers?!?
>
> 1) Today
> Dom0 - 2.6.26-2-xen-amd64
> DomU - 2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 -> BUG #516374 very unstable

Have you tried the most recent kernel in stable-proposed-updates? I
think that has a few fixes relating to Xen in it (I don't know if they
specifically relate to any "120 seconds" issue though).

As far as I know your other choices are:
      * run a backport of the 2.6.32 kernel (for domU either the -amd64
        one or the -xen-amd64 one, I'd lean towards the former unless
        you need features only present in the later).
      * Build your own kernel from one of the upstream kernels (either
        from xen.org or kernel.org)
      * Grab and rebuild a supported Xen kernel from another distro

I am of the opinion that the 2.6.32 stuff is pretty good for domU use,
although you might want to start with a test deployment on some of you
less critical production servers until you build some confidence of your
own. You'd certainly be doing Debian a valuable service by providing
feedback on how this works for you in practice.

If you have suitable hardware support you might also consider running a
native 64 bit kernel in an HVM domU.

> 2) Not possible
> Dom0 - 2.6.26-2-xen-amd64
> DomU - 2.6.26-2-amd64 -> Error: (2, 'Invalid kernel',
> 'elf_xen_note_check: ERROR: Will only load images built for the
> generic loader or Linux images')

There was no 64-bit pvops support in 2.6.26 so that kernel has no Xen
support.

> 3) Ok, but no security
> Dom0 - 2.6.26-2-xen-amd64
> DomU - 2.6.18-6-xen-amd64 -> OK, etch kernel stable, but no security upgrades.

Correct.

> 4) Not 64
> Dom0 - 2.6.26-2-xen-686 -> NOT 64 :( , incompatible
> DomU - 2.6.26-2-686-bigmem -> OK! , but i want to use 64 servers.

You can run 64 bit dom0 with 32 bit domUs, or a mixture or 32 and 64bit
domUs. Probably not what you want from the sounds of things.

I'm not sure why you need specifically 64 bit servers, in general Xen's
sweet spot performance wise is 32 bit guests on a 64 bit hypervisor so
if you have no specific need for 64 bit I'd recommend using 32 bit
guests.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.