On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 14:51:40 +0100, Mathieu Roy wrote:

> severity 575226 minor
> retitle 575226 firmware-linux-nonfree 0.23 is in conflict with xserver-xorg-
> video-radeonhd and should suggest xserver-xorg-video-radeon
> thanks

firmware-linux-nonfree has nothing to do with this.

> Le mercredi 24 mars 2010, Julien Cristau a écrit :
> > On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:40:36 +0100, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> > > Regarding X, only xserver-xorg-core, xserver-xorg,
> > > xserver-xorg-video-radeon was recently upgraded.
> >
> > The latest xserver-xorg-video-radeon package enables kernel mode
> > setting.  This is incompatible with the radeonhd X driver.  You should
> > use the radeon driver instead.
>
> I did not know that. To me, it seemed like radeonhd driver was the future and
> radeon some kind of legacy driver. Apparently, it is not.

Right, radeonhd is dying at this point.

> I switched to the radeon driver and now it works (only with the latest
> kernel).
>
> I think it should be documented somewhere. And considering the results of
> running firmware-linux-nonfree with xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd (blank
> screen), maybe it would be nice to add a conflict against xserver-xorg-video-
> radeonhd and a suggest in favor of xserver-xorg-video-radeon.

If nothing else, it will be documented in radeon's NEWS.Debian file
(http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-xorg/driver/xserver-xorg-video-ati.git;a=blob;f=debian/xserver-xorg-video-radeon.NEWS),
and probably in the release notes for squeeze.

Cheers,
Julien