Ben Hutchings wrote:
> Jamie,
>
> You appear to be hosting the Alteon NIC firmware source and tools at
> <http://alteon.shareable.org/>, but links to those subdirectories yield
> 'Forbidden' error pages.
>
> Is there a reason why these are not available, or is this accidental?

A configuration accident as you correctly guessed.

Indexing was turned off.  They are all readable now.

If you build the firmware from the last source version, using the
Linux-hosted GCC 2.95 (needing "firmware.patch"), it even runs a bit
faster than the original Acenic binary :-) Somehow I never got around
to submitting my version to the kernel.  Don't ask me to revisit it now.

The tools etc. were originally collected for a custom firmware
projects (it was a popular board for that), and I decided to host them
because Alteon were shutting down, and as a general principle of
keeping source around.

I'm not sure if the license would satisfy DFSG.  It's pretty open as
these things go.  Lots of people hacked this chip, Tigon2, in
interesting ways because of it's relatively unique openness at the
time, and were disappointed when its successor, the Tigon3, wasn't
open at all.  It is quite a versatile dual-CPU gigE chip.

I wrote on the top-level index "Look at the source files yourself to
understand any licensing restrictions on their use.  Alteon's license
may be summarised like this: you may share and develop the firmware,
but it is only for use with Alteon NIC products."  That last bit might
refer to just advice, or a DFSG-incompatible restriction, I don't
remember which.

If it breaks you get to keep both pieces :-)
-- Jamie