Ben Hutchings <b...@decadent.org.uk> wrote:

Hi,

>> Good luck with that, it's been tried already with EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL()
>> and people still do work around that.
>
> That is probably copyright infringement.

Maybe, maybe not. Nobody actually really knows.

> It sounds like you should really be using ESX/vSphere on the host,
> rather than VMware Server on Debian.  I mean, VMware Server is basically
> demo-ware.

That's VMware Player/Workstation running on workstations, not servers,
actually. So no, we don't need ESX/vSphere.

> Where are your bug reports on nouveau?

I don't think there is any value in reporting that an nVidia card that
was released last month doesn't work with nouveau. I think the nouveau
folks do know it's not supported without me telling them.

> Binary-only drivers for Linux are generally copyright infringements.  If

Says you. Again, nobody really knows. Some may very well be infringing
copyrights, sure.

> we break them: good.  (I know nvidia provides a Linux-specific stub as
> source and it might be an exception to this.)

You can be assured that I share your feelings towards binary-only
drivers.

>> I'm pretty disappointed by the way you're handling this; it feels like
>> you have little care for what your users actually need.
>
> We do, just not all of what *you* (one of our users) want.

Yeah, I'm probably the only Debian folk out there that has to support a
thousand workstations with VMware. We should definitely move to RedHat,
or something.

JB.

--
 Julien BLACHE <jbla...@debian.org>  |  Debian, because code matters more