On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 01:53:53 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 22:58 +0000, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> > Package: linux-2.6
> > Severity: normal
> >
> > in http://bugs.debian.org/608846 , i encountered difficulties with an
> > NVIDIA chipset on powerpc.
> >
> > These difficulties appear to be exacerbated by the fact that debian's
> > powerpc kernel has set
> >
> > CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA=y
> >
> > Please set this option to 'm' for powerpc (this course of action was
> > suggested by jcristau on #debian-x, who helped me find a workaround to
> > the earlier problem).
> >
> > Thanks for maintaining the Linux kernel in debian,
>
> As I understand it, we cannot rely on VGA text-mode or a common firmware
> interface as a basis for the console on PowerPC.  This means we must
> have a suitable framebuffer driver loaded even before loading the
> initramfs, so most such drivers are built-in.

offb should work, and framebuffer handoff between such a driver and a
kms driver works (or can be made to work); and indeed dkg managed to get
nouveau kms going after turning off nvidiafb on .37.  At boot fbcon is
on offb, when udev starts it switches to nouveau.  That handoff doesn't
work for hw drivers like nvidiafb or radeonfb, it's restricted to
generic ones such as efifb/offb/vesafb/vga16fb.

Cheers,
Julien