On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 13:23 +0100, David Rütti wrote:

>  Hello Bastian
>
> > > Please compile serial driver serial8250 as module instead into the
> kernel.
> >
> > Please explain why.
>
> I would like to provide a DomU serial port access according to the
> xen-wiki.
>

> To have access to the serial port in DomU, we need to prevent Dom0
> from taken hold of this piece of hardware
>
> add to /etc/hotplug/blacklist the following modules to exclude from
> being loaded
>
> 8250
>
> 8250_pnp
>
> serial_core
>

> domU config:
>
> irq = [ 4 ]
>
> ioports = [ "3f8-3ff" ]
>
> to load the modules in domU.
>

> I tried without unload the 8250 driver and starting the domU resuted
> in an IRQ 4 error.

So what you really need is to inhibit the 8250 driver from claiming the
ports/irqs associated with the serial points. I don't think you need to
inhibit the driver loading to do this.

I think this can be done with "8250.nr_uarts=0" on your domain 0 kernel
command line. (I've only ever used =1 myself but I'd expect =0 to work
by extension).

I see /sys/bus/platform/drivers/serial8250/{un,}bind on my systems, so
it's perhaps possible that you can also control this stuff even more
dynamically on a per-port basis too.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell
Current Noise: Anathema - Thin Air

Government lies, and newspapers lie, but in a democracy they are different lies.