On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 03:18:57PM +0200, bartek szurgot wrote:

> i bought device (i.e. usb frame grabber) that works with this driver.

how about telling that in the *first* request. (:

> for now i have manually-compiled module for this that works fine, but in
> a long term i'd prefer to have this module in distribution kernel so i
> won't have to do this all over again each time new kernel arrives with
> dist-upgrade (i use debian/testing).

sure thing.

> since it is kernel part any way i think effort of adding this module is
> minimal and it's always nice if device works straight after plugging it
> in (this hardware is easily accessible, for a low price in my country).

well it comes for cost of us, as building is longer and security support
is also different. If the module is built, one would expect such, well
for staging crap we don't anyway.

> IMHO this update could appear along with next linux-image-2.6xxx package
> release.

we do indeed enable staging crap on user request, so that we know that it
is used. we do consider however to split off the non mainstream modules
in a seperate modules to reduce size of the linux images and thus necessary
installations.

happy hacking

--
maks