On Sun, Sep 02, 2012 at 02:42:38PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-09-01 at 10:45 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 05:52:03PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > > auto vlan2
> > > iface vlan2 inet manual
> > >   vlan-raw-device xenbr0
> >
> > Is vlan-over-bridge documented to be supported?
>
> If it was not supported then bridge devices would have
> NETIF_F_VLAN_CHALLENGED and you would not be able to create VLAN devices
> on top of them.  But I don't expect this to work *well* at present.
>
> Rebooting, however... something is very wrong here.
>
> > Usually I would use:
> > | iface xenbr2 inet static
> > |   bridge-ports bond0.2
> >
> > > But as soon as I generate any traffic to or from 192.168.54.0/24 and that
> > > virtual machine (notice - not the right VLAN), the whole system instantly
> > > reboots, with no messages in syslog.
> >
> > Does it work without bond?
> >
> > I would switch to openvswitch. It documents bond/vlan setups, so they
> > most likely work. (I don't use bond yet, but the rest works pretty
> > flawless, however I have to submit the openvswitch support.)
>
> Definitely worth trying.

Ah, good catch, I do actually seem to want to use the underlying device for
vlan, rather than the bridge device. All my other setups are like that.

It shouldn't crash anyway...

JFTR the other thing I noticed, before I read the mail, was that the remote
machine was actually visible on that L2 segment through ARP, but the outside
world can't ping it - it's as if xen-netback/front don't let that through,
for no apparent reason. And then, when I initiate traffic towards the
outside world from the machine, it all goes poof.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.