On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 01:33:08AM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-09-14 at 18:48 +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > Package: src:linux
> > Version: 3.2.23-1
> > Severity: normal
> >
> > I've had four oopses today when trying to connect to an ethernet.
> [...]
>
> If the log doesn't actually say 'Oops', it's not an oops.  In fact this
> is a WARNING.  Anyway, the important message is:
>
> 'NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0 (sky2): transmit queue 0 timed out'
>
> which basically means the hardware transmit path got stuck.  When this
> happens the driver is called to reset the hardware, but this seems to
> have been unsuccessful as the driver log messages are repeated.

Oh, I see. :-(  The driver simply fails to work after this occurs,
hence the reboots.

> As you say this is is not easily reproducible, I'm not sure how to make
> progress on it.  Thinking about what might have made a difference: have
> you made any changes to the physical network connection recently
> (different cable or plugged into something different)?  Was the room
> colder/hotter than normal when you started the computer?

No, there were no obvious changes at all :-( It had worked fine, and
then all of a sudden - it stopped.  And then it took four attempts to
work again.  I've searched on the net for this bug, and found
something related in the 2.6 kernels, but that bug seems to have been
fixed in the current version.

   Julian