Per Foreby <p...@foreby.se> writes:

> On 2012-10-01 23:29, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
>> Per Foreby wrote:
>>
>>> The debug logging from drm isn't forwarded via netconsole, so I suppose it
>>> isn't supposed to?
>>
>> Oh, that's because of the console_loglevel setting[1].  You can change
>> it by running "dmesg -n 8" (or by adding the word "debug" or a
>> loglevel= parameter to the kernel command line).
>
> Ah, RTFM :)
>
> However, it looks like the netconsole documentation and the dmesg man
> page should be updated:
>
>   # dmesg -n 8
>   dmesg: unknown level '8'
>
> Instead I tried
>
>   # dmesg -n debug
>   # dmesg -E
>
> but still nothing at the remote end.

Yes, I vaguely remember having struggled with the same issue the last
time I use netconsole.  Try

 echo 8 >/proc/sys/kernel/printk

instead.

I believe the bug is in the dmesg utility.  It should shift all values
by one. Setting "dmesg -n debug" will currently log all messages with a
level *higher* than debug.

> Instead I added remote logging of
> kern.* in rsyslog.conf, so now I have everything at the server.

As long as you don't crash anything...

Bjørn