Replies in line.
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Ian Campbell <i...@hellion.org.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-04-15 at 08:19 -0400, Anthony Sheetz wrote:
>

> >         Did you ever happen to try a transfer over a
> >         non-tunnelled connection?
> >

> > Yes, tried file transfers from another machine on the local network -
> > never had a problem with those.
>
> So this issue isn't the tunnel, good.
>
> >         Were you able to successfully transfer the
> >         file to the dom0 filesystem or to any other system (e.g. one
> >         not running
> >         Xen) on this end of the openswan link?
> >
> > Yes - tried that several times, and was able to do the transfer with
> > no corruption, and md5sum matched.
> >

> >         I'm not sure what error
> >         detection/correction scp/rsync or if they have any additional
> >         verification options which could be tried or perhaps it is
> >         possible to
> >         run md5sum on the stream before it hits the disk (can one
> >         rsync/scp to
> >         stdout? I doubt it).
> >

> > Tried doing 'scp file.sql | md5sum' on DomU which resulted in a
> > matching md5sum. We decided this eliminated the openswan link as the
> > culprit.
>
> This was in the domU? That would, I think, eliminate corruption in the
> network at every stage including the dom0->domU link.
>
> That would suggest that the md5sum failures you saw before were caused
> by writing the file to disk and reading it back (which does at least
> mean we only have one bug to deal with...)
>
> >         If you can transfer to dom0 OK then it might be
> >         interesting to try turning off the various offloads (GSO, SG
> >         etc) on the
> >         vif link.
> >

> > Any instructions on doing that?
>
> The above makes me suspect this isn't a worthwhile experiment but in any
> case:

I'd agree - for now, in the interest of time, we'll shelve this avenue of
investigation.

> to turn the various things off. I'd do it both on the device inside the
> guest and the associated vifX.Y
>
> >         I wonder if the layering of crypto+lvm+xen-blkback is causing
> >         the barriers which ext3 requires to function correctly to not
> >         occur in
> >         the right places. Does something need to be manually
> >         configured to
> >         enable barriers at some layer? (or perhaps I am thinking of
> >         DISCARD
> >         support). If you were able to attempt to reproduce without the
> >         crypto
> >         bit in dom0 for the VM disk that would be really useful. It
> >         might also
> >         be interesting to try using the ext3 barrier mount option in
> >         the guest
> >         to switch barriers either off or on (I can't remember what the
> >         default
> >         was for Squeeze).
> >

> > Google led me to try mounting the file system with barriers=0, and no
> > luck.
>
> How did you do this? IIRC getting mount options to the root filesystem
> to take effect involves more than just editing fstab (rootflags= on
> command line I think? No idea how one inserts a space there)

Ah, ok. Did use fstab options. Will look in to other methods of specifying
this. I'd imagine editing the boot option in pygrub might be a good avenue?

> For experimentation it might be useful to attach an xvdb to the domain
> and use that as the write target, it'll allow easier experimentation
> with mount options, and as a bonus you won't keep hosing your root
> filesystem (which I imagine is getting pretty tedious...)

To be sure I understand: create a new lv, mount it, and use it as the write
target. That's an excellent idea. Next time I experiment I'll be using
that.

> >         I appreciate that you may have redeployed/downgraded the
> >         systems so some
> >         of the above experiments might be quite hard to try out but if
> >         you could
> >         setup a spare system or something it would be very much
> >         appreciated.
> >

> > We planned for this, and once we have some ideas to try (with some
> > detailed instructions for trying them) we'll be purchasing a spare
> > hard drive to try them out. We'd like this problem solved, and we're
> > willing to spend a little to do it.
>
> Other than the barriers thing I think the most worthwhile thing to try
> would be a Wheezy domU kernel.

Ok, will try that. If you've got instructions close to hand on installing
and using a different kernel in domU, that'd save me the trouble of looking
it up. No worries if not - my google foo is decent.