On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 08:37:59PM +0200, Karsten Malcher wrote:
> Am 24.06.2013 20:18, schrieb Greg KH:
> >On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 06:41:38PM +0200, Karsten Malcher wrote:

> >>Just take this one:
> >>http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-To-RS232-TTL-PL2303HX-Auto-Converter-Module-5V-3-3V-Output-Converter-Adapter-/370812126675
> >>US $1.67 and it is yours.
> >But wiring that up to a "real" 9pin serial port would be a pain (doable,
> >but a pain).  Is there any devices out there with a DB-9 output
> >connector?
>
> You mean if you want to test full handshake with all signals - that's true.

Which is what the driver needs to test, right?  And of course, everone
with this problem is properly hooking up these signals, right?
Otherwise, there will be problems as the pins could float and cause
transmissions / receive data to stop happening.

At the least, loop-back testing is important.

> The advantage of the adapter is to get directly 5V and 3,3V.

What do you mean by this?

> I don't know some other adapter with exactly this chip, because i don't need
> them.
> Only this Adapter which use the other chip ch341-uart which works without
> problems
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-RS232-Serial-9-Pin-DB9-Adapter-PC-PDA-RS-232-/180399132966
>
> When i think about it i never seen that someone uses the handshake for this
> simple serial communication.
> Not in communication with mobiles, ARM-boards or AVR microcontroller.
> The built-in UART's in the ARM and AVR don't suffer handshake
> signals, so that you must do it by software with additional IO
> ports.

What's wrong with software flow control?  Why reinvent something that
has been successfully used for 30+ years?

thanks,

greg k-h