There is a common problem that network hardware may require multi-page
buffers, which we can't allocate (without swapping, which is not
possible in the network stack) if memory is nearly full and fragmented.
This case is similar but slightly different: the multi-page allocation
is for a new socket for a TCP connection.

This is not a PowerPC-specific issue.  (In fact POWER is much less
likely to have this problem, as its usual page size is 64K.)

Fundamentally this can't be solved, but I wonder whether the default
value of vm.min_free_kbytes is too low.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings