Control: clone -1 -2
Control: retitle -2 cassini should support Saturn PHY without firmware patch
Control: reassign -2 src:linux 3.2.46-1
Control: severity -2 important
Control: tag -2 upstream patch
Control: tag -2 - help

On Tue, 2013-06-25 at 15:44 +0200, Jose Andres Arias Velichko wrote:
> Hi Ben!
>
> The patch you have sent has not worked for me with the default debian
> 7.1 kernel sources  (3.2.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.2.46-1): It has
> been partially rejected by patch tool.
> So I've have coded mostly the same you did, manually. (attaching my patch).

Sorry, I mistakenly made that patch against the 3.2.y stable branch and
not the Debian stable branch.  Debian has a patch that changes the
logging of firmware loader errors.

> It worked with no problems on my Sun/Cassiny Quad Ethernet board. I
> have not tried it with Linux 3.5, but I can confirm that the firmware
> looks not essential for 100/1000.
> I think this is a good workaround for the firmware problem.

Since the driver can work without the firmware patch, the current
failure is a bug, which I'm therefore assigning to the kernel.  I'll
submit the driver change upstream.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings