On 23.06.2013 21:19, Bastian Blank wrote:
Can you please describe what this interface brings for our users? I only
see message by you and noone else.

Bastian

In many enterprise environment servers are only allowed to be installed together with a software to scan for viruses.

CONFIG_FANOTIFY_ACCESS_PERMISSIONS=y allows to install virus scanning software.

Fedora already has this setting
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/kernel.git/plain/config-generic

The setting enables the part of the fanotify API that is responsible for file access control.

Only users having the CAP_SYS_ADMIN capability (typically only root) can use the API.

A virus scanner analyzes files before they opened and disallows access if a file content is deemed dangerous.

It has to interact with the opening process of files on kernel level.

Before the fanotify interface was introduced this required a special kernel module to be compiled. Up to Linux kernel 2.6.34 this could be implemented using the Dazuko stackable filesystem.

With CONFIG_FANOTIFY_ACCESS_PERMISSIONS=y no special Kernel module is needed.

As I believe in free software I want to be able to run completely free virus scanning solution. I developed a solution based on the fanotify interface ClamAV and packaged it for Debian. See
http://xypron.github.io/skyldav

CONFIG_FANOTIFY_ACCESS_PERMISSIONS=y will also allow to install existing commercial solutions.

Best regards

Heinrich Schuchardt