Ben,

You are one of the core contributors to the Network subsystem in the
Linux kernel, hence asking you this question.

Ethernet devices have an interface to enable / disable the device in:
/sys/class/net/eth0/device/enabled

If the device is disabled using this interface, what is the expected
power consumption ?

I ask because even after I disable the device, powertop reports state
that ethernet is consuming power.

Power est.              Usage       Events/s    Category       Description
  6.47 W     23.6 pkts/s                Device         Network
interface: wlan0 (iwlwifi)
  4.01 W      0.0 pkts/s                Device         Network
interface: eth0 (e1000e)

15:34:57 rrs@zan:/sys/class/net/eth0/device$ cat enabled
0