Hello,
I recently noticed that manpages-fr was removed from testing. I felt sad.
It appeared as if the reason was that the manpages were too outdated.

When I pushed for proper manpages-de maintenance years ago I was always
inspired by the French effort and achievments. Thus I (in agreement with
manpages-de maintainer Tobias) would like to ask if we could help
having manpages-fr in Debians next stable release (and beyond)?

We are a very small team and we cannot work on the translation, but we
could offer an infrastructure which would keep the manpage translation
current, i.e. regularly updated and released. Of course, over time more
and more paragraphs would be replaced by an updated english version and
if the French percentage felt below < 80% then the man pages would not be
shipped. But those pages who are rather stable (and many are) would
continue to be shipped. (Of course, French translators would be
welcome to update the outdated strings as they see fit).

If you are interested we could discuss moving over the current French
manpages to the salsa infrastructure of manpages-de. I haven't (yet)
looked at the build infrastructure of manpages-fr, how much work this
would cause, but I'm confindent that this is dooable.

Please keep Tobias (and me) in the CC loop for the discussion. I also
CC'ed the manpages-fr maintainers.

Greetings

        Helge

P.S. German-French cooperation is a good thing to do.

--
      Dr. Helge Kreutzmann                     deb...@helgefjell.de

Répondre à