On Saturday 10 December 2005 01:20 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
<snip>

> You have to move /etc/rcS.d/S0?bootlogd to /etc/rcS.d/S11bootlogd (i.e.
> after /etc/rcS.d/S10checkroot.sh)...I don't know what the original file
> name was because I already moved it but I believe it was
> /etc/rcS.d/S05bootlogd.
>
> The call to openpty() will fail in bootlogd.c if /etc/init.d/checkroot.sh
> has not been run when you call /etc/init.d/bootlogd. I believe that this
> because the virtual file systems are not mounted correctly until the
> checkroot.sh script is run.
>
> This is on a Debian Sarge system with kernel 2.6.8-2-686.
>
> I was looking for a better solution myself so that more of the boot
> sequence could be logged, but ran out of time to research it as I believe
> it would require rewriting the bootlogd.c source file to use a different
> mechanism for the pty that it currently needs to allocate, and I don't have
> time to re-engineer the program.
>
> HTH
>
> MGL

It seems that there is another solution that involves upgrading udev, but I
don't believe that is an option for me since I am using Sarge (i.e. stable)
and don't want to pull in packages from testing or unstable.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong as I would also like to have my
bootlogd start immediately after udev if possible.

Thanks,

MGL
--
M. Glenn Lewis