Daniel Stone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 11:53:10AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Tag: package-installs-file-to-usr-x11r6-bin
>> Type: error
>> Info: Debian has switched to the modular X tree which now uses the regular
>>  FHS paths, and all packages must follow. All packages installing binaries
>>  must install them into /usr/bin (or some other appropriate location)
>>  instead of /usr/X11R6/bin.
>>  .
>>  The x11-common package attempts to change /usr/X11R6/bin into a symlink
>>  to /usr/bin, so if this migration has already occurred, a package
>>  installing files into /usr/X11R6/bin may appear to install
>>  successfully. However, such a package will be left in an inconsistent
>>  state and may orphan files when the compatibility link goes away.
>>  .
>>  If the package uses imake, it must build-depend on xutils-dev (>=
>>  1:1.0.2-1) for the correct paths.

> Doing this was broken anyway, unless it was part of the core X Window
> System, which it wasn't.

It used to be a warning that said you were only supposed to do this if the
package used imake.  (Policy still says that's allowed; we'll have to get
policy changed once everything has settled down and then I can re-add the
policy references to the lintian tests.)

> The tests look fine to me; thanks again for taking this on.

Absolutely.  I'll get them committed.  We were about due for another
lintian release anyway.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>