Aaron M Ucko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Package: lintian
> Version: 1.23.17
> Severity: normal

> Lintian's latest Python build-dependency checks are a bit too strict IMO
> -- in particular, they insist on direct build-dependencies on python,
> whereas I would argue that build-dependencies on python-dev should be
> sufficient.

> Could you please loosen the checks accordingly?

Actually, they're buggy more than they're strict; I'm going to upload
again later today to fix that.  However, just to check, are you using
dh_python?  If so, that's where the check is coming from.  dh_python
actually does require python itself.  However, I see that python-dev
depends on python, so you get it through a transitive dependency.  I'm not
sure how safe it is to rely on that always being the case going forward,
but maybe it should be....

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>