Matt Taggart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Package: lintian
> Version: 1.23.21
> Severity: wishlist

> I have an idea for a lintian enhancement. There are packages that
> provide GUI programs (gtk,qt,etc.) that do not provide a menu file for
> those programs, ideally they would all provide menu files.

> Here is a patch that adds a test to the binaries check. It checks each
> executable binary to see if it uses libX11 and if any do and the package
> doesn't have a menu file it issues a warning. I have tested it on

I'm worried about the number of false positives here, from packages like
gksu that might link with X libraries but shouldn't have menu entries for
themselves.  There may be quite a few helper programs like that that link
with X but aren't applications in the menu sense.

(There are also a lot of false negatives, of course, including binaries
that link with a toolkit rather than with the X libraries directly, but
that doesn't necessarily rule it out.)

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>