Peter Eisentraut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Package: lintian
> Version: 1.23.21
> Severity: normal

> The check script-not-executable apparently thinks that everything that
> starts with #! should be executable, which is far from true.  A lot of,
> say, python or php scripts are installed somewhere under /usr/share and
> carry that #! for documentation value or just for no reason at all, but
> it's there.

> Perhaps that check should be restricted to scripts that are installed in
> program directories such as /usr/bin.

This has been discussed before and the general consensus that I recall
from previous discussions is that such scripts should either be marked
executable or have that line removed if they really can't be executed
independently.  Limiting the check to /usr/bin can miss cases where the
non-executability (due to a buggy install script, for instance) breaks the
package because it can't execute its helper scripts, so I'm not horribly
enthused about changing the test itself.  It's actually more likely for
packages to have problems with helper scripts in /usr/share than with the
regular binaries in /usr/bin.

I'm certainly happy for other lintian maintainers to disagree on this,
though.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>