martin f krafft <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Package: lintian
> Version: 1.23.21
> Severity: normal

> W: mdadm: virtual-package-depends-without-real-package-depends recommends:
> mail-transport-agent
> N:
> N:   The package declares a depends on a virtual package without listing a
> N:   real package as an alternative first.
> N:
> N:   A real package should be listed in the first part of the | dependency
> N:   in order for the package to be installable by package management
> N:   programs that can't or won't guess which alternative to select by
> N:   default. In particular, it helps build daemons rebuild the package
> N:   without manual overrides.
> N:
> N:   Refer to Policy Manual, section 7.4 for details.

> This makes no sense. Build daemons are only concerned about
> build-depends, and there isn't one package management programme in
> Debian that can't pick an alternative.

> Please at least don't show this warning for recommends/suggests.

If package A Build-Depends on package B which in turn then Depends on
virtual package C, I can see two possibilities:  either the package system
will want to prompt someone for what package to install, which won't work
because it's non-interactive, or the installed package to satisfy the
dependency on virtual package C will be chosen essentially at random.  The
latter leaves open the possibility that a different choice will be made
next time, meaning that we no longer have a consistent and reproducible
build environment.  That strikes me as bad, although I'm not sure it's bad
enough to warrant the lintian warning.  I'd at least want to see some more
discussion of that first.

I think I agree with you on recommends/suggests.  Unless any other lintian
maintainer has an objection, I'll exempt recommends/suggests from this
check.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>