Frank Küster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Dear release team,

> we have not heard from you on this.  Could you please clarify your
> policy decision?  This was the central question:

> Release Managers, do you think that (upstream-provided) scripts with a
> Perl magic header like

> ,----
> | eval '(exit $?0)' && eval 'exec perl -S $0 ${1+"$@"}' && eval 'exec perl -S
> $0 $argv:q'
> |   if 0;
> `----

> are inacceptable?  Fullquote follows,

I thought Steve followed up and said that yes, they're unacceptable,
because that script magic relies on the script being run by a shell
(something I hadn't realized until he pointed it out).  If you try to run
a binary that starts with the above and no #! line via, say, execv inside
a C program, it will fail.  It only works from the command line because
the shell falls back on trying to interpret binaries with no valid magic
as shell scripts.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>