Thijs Kinkhorst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Package: lintian
> Version: 1.23.21
> Severity: minor
> Tags: patch

> Hello,

> The explanation of deb-created-with-broken-tar says that some versions
> of tar are broken. I've added to the message a summary of which (Debian)
> versions this concerns.

> Furthermore the description has two typos, s/make/makes/,
> s/build/built/. See attached patch.

It's not really a bug in tar, either, so the description and the tag
aren't very accurate.  It's a bug in dpkg's internal tar implementation
when encountering filenames that are exactly 100 characters long (shorter
or longer is fine), and that bug has since been fixed in dpkg.  In the
meantime, tar was also modified to avoid that case, but it was following
the standards before.  We need to figure out if dpkg was fixed before the
sarge release; if so, this tag should be dropped from lintian entirely.

The current version of tar in unstable now generates these sorts of
archives again, so if tar is going to be changed again, we'll have to
list the current version as well.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>