Holger Levsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Saturday 22 July 2006 02:49, you wrote:

>> By my reading of FHS 2.3, no Debian-supplied package should be
>> installing files into /srv, since /srv is reserved for the local
>> administrator for local data.  The error message may not be accurate,
>> but it looks to me like this still should be an error.  Am I missing
>> something?

> I don't think you are correct:

> In
> http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/fhs-2.3.html#SRVDATAFORSERVICESPROVIDEDBYSYSTEM
> the last sentence about /srv says:

> --begin quote -----------------
> Distributions must take care not to remove locally placed files in these
> directories without administrator permission. [20]

> [20]

> This is particularly important as these areas will often contain both files
> initially installed by the distributor, and those added by the administrator.
> --end quote -----------------

> So, as I read it, /srv is clearly designed for files from the
> distribution and locally added ones.

How can that be reconciled with:

    The methodology used to name subdirectories of /srv is unspecified as
    there is currently no consensus on how this should be done. One method
    for structuring data under /srv is by protocol, eg. ftp, rsync, www,
    and cvs. On large systems it can be useful to structure /srv by
    administrative context, such as /srv/physics/www, /srv/compsci/cvs,
    etc. This setup will differ from host to host. Therefore, no program
    should rely on a specific subdirectory structure of /srv existing or
    data necessarily being stored in /srv. However /srv should always
    exist on FHS compliant systems and should be used as the default
    location for such data.

I don't see any way that shipping files under /srv in a Debian package
would be consistent with the second-to-last sentence above.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>