Thijs Kinkhorst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Package: lintian
> Version: 1.23.22

> Hello,

> On the mailman package I received this lintian warning:

> W: mailman: too-long-extended-description-in-templates
> mailman/queue_files_present
> N:
> N:   Some debconf interfaces cannot deal very well with descriptions of
> N:   more than about 20 lines, so try to keep the extended description
> N:   below this limit.
> N:
> N:   Refer to Developers Reference, section 6.5.3.2 for details.
> N:

> I've checked that description, and it's quite long but also very
> informational to the admin. I could condense it, but I feel that
> throwing away useful information because of some anonymous tool cannot
> deal with it is not right: we should fix that bug instead of setting an
> arbitrary 20-line limit on descriptions.

> The description remains vague as where exactly the problem originates.
> I'm not sure what it is that imposes the number "20" and why our "26" is
> too much.

In this case, I'm going to refer you to the Developer's Reference
maintainers, since I don't think the lintian maintainers have the
expertise to know why this rule is present.  We picked up that rule
straight from the devref, and presumably the team that developed those
rules had justification for it at the time and knowledge of which debconf
interfaces had problems.

On the lintian side, I'd much prefer to continue to check for exactly what
the devref says, since that way it's a lot easier to remain consistent.
So if this is wrong, the devref should really change.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>