martin f krafft <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Package: lintian
> Version: 1.23.22
> Severity: wishlist

> E: mdadm_2.5.3-1~unreleased.3_i386.changes: bad-distribution-in-changes-file
> UNRELEASED

> I think it would be better not to flag this as an error. UNRELEASED is a
> commonly used name in changelogs during testing and it's refused by dak
> anyhow. If lintian reports an error, it's impossible to get error-free
> lintian runs during testing, which may lead maintainers to ignore
> lintian altogether (or miss other things in skim mode).

I'm not completely sure about this one, since it *isn't* a valid
distribution (that is, in fact, the entire point of using it).  dak
automatically rejecting it is a persuasive argument, though, and I suppose
most other archive maintenance tools would do the same.  That means I have
a hard time seeing what damage could be caused by lintian recognizing it,
other than maybe a wasted upload.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if we do recognize it, we'll immediately
get a request from someone to stop recognizing it since they were using
lintian to remind themselves to change the distribution before uploading.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>