This should have been filed as a bug report, but is a bit too messy, I
hope it is ok that I send as post. I started writing a bug report on the
26th and abandoned it - because if it is a bug, it did not work in the
way I expected it to, i.e. I was unable to find it in another package
where I expected it should also be found. However, I still have no
explanation for it, and have done a number of checks, and the mystery
lintian error occurs on packages that previously build cleanly, so I
post you my quandary.

Has lintian has developed a ruby related bug)?, it appears to no longer
recognise ruby bangs in some packages (not in others for the same bang,
I have not been able to isolate why).

This error now appears in new builds and attempts to redo old builds
that previously built without warnings (and have used pbuilder):

Now running lintian...
E: sisu: ruby-script-but-no-ruby-dep ./usr/bin/sisu
E: sisu: ruby-script-but-no-ruby-dep ./usr/bin/sisu_webrick
E: sisu: ruby-script-but-no-ruby-dep ./usr/bin/sisu_termsheet
Finished running lintian.

test packages
dget -x http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/sisu/sisu_0.46.1-1.dsc
and
dget -x http://www.jus.uio.no/sisu/pkg/src/sisu_0.46.2-1.dsc

(i) error is reported on versions that previously built without error

(ii) have checked the control file, ruby depends (appear to) look ok there

grep-aptavail -F Package -e '^sisu$' -s Package -s Version -s Depends
Package: sisu
Version: 0.46.2-1
Depends: ruby (>= 1.8.2), libwebrick-ruby

(iii) within the files complained about i use a standard ruby bang variant:
#!/usr/bin/env ruby

have rebuilt to test using
#!/usr/bin/ruby

same error message

(iv) to check run linda, no error reported

(v) mysteriously my other package rant, has no such problem
dget -x http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/r/rant/rant_0.5.6-2.dsc

My apologies in advance if this is just me being obtuse.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: testing/unstable
 APT prefers unstable
 APT policy: (500, 'unstable'), (500, 'stable')
Architecture: i386 (i686)
Shell:  /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash
Kernel: Linux 2.6.17-1-486
Locale: LANG=en_GB.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)

Versions of packages lintian depends on:
ii  binutils                 2.17-2          The GNU assembler, linker and bina
ii  diffstat                 1.43-1          produces graph of changes introduc
ii  dpkg-dev                 1.13.22         package building tools for Debian
ii  file                     4.17-3          Determines file type using "magic"
ii  gettext                  0.15-1          GNU Internationalization utilities
ii  intltool-debian          0.35.0+20060710 Help i18n of RFC822 compliant conf
ii  libparse-debianchangelog 1.0-1           parse Debian changelogs and output
ii  man-db                   2.4.3-3         The on-line manual pager
ii  perl [libdigest-md5-perl 5.8.8-6.1       Larry Wall's Practical Extraction

lintian recommends no packages.