Michael Koch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Package: lintian
> Version: 1.23.27
> Severity: normal

> When building new classpath package for testing-proposed-updates I tried
> to use the version number 2:0.91-3.etch.1 and lintian gave this warning:

> W: classpath source: maintainer-upload-has-incorrect-version-number
> 2:0.91-3.etch.1
> W: classpath source: binary-nmu-debian-revision-in-source 2:0.91-3.etch.1

> This version is neither incorrect not a binnmu.

lintian didn't know about the new +b syntax for binNMUs, which is
definitely a bug.  I'm working on fixing that now.

I'm less certain that your version number is correct.  This isn't a
particularly well-standardized part of Debian, but the convention is that
using a period in the Debian revision indicates an NMU.  My understanding
is that backports.org recommends using a period in their Debian revision
precisely because such backports are often NMUs.  Usually, that version is
written -3etch1 rather than -3.etch.1.  (If it isn't an NMU, how would you
version an NMU?  -3.etch.1.1?  And how could someone know from the version
whether it was an NMU?)

I'm willing to be convinced, though.  What do you think of the above
argument?

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>