"Nelson A. de Oliveira" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi people!
>
> Patrick and I are trying to create a lintian override for this message:
>
> W: xtermset source: configure-generated-file-in-source config.status
>
> I have tried various combination for the override file:
>
> configure-generated-file-in-source
> xtermset: configure-generated-file-in-source
> xtermset: configure-generated-file-in-source config.status
> xtermset source: configure-generated-file-in-source
> xtermset source: configure-generated-file-in-source config.status
>
> but all without success.
>
> lintian (version 3.7.3) also says:

(That's a Policy version rather than a lintian version.)

> W: xtermset source: configure-generated-file-in-source config.status
> (...)
> I: xtermset: unused-override configure-generated-file-in-source
>
> So it seems that is finding the override file (and it's indeed
> correctly installed under /usr/share/lintian/overrides/xtermset)

I think those warnings are all correct, but it's a bit unintuitive as to
why.

First, you're installing an override for the *binary* package xtermset to
suppress configure-generated-file-in-source.  But that's a source package
tag that doesn't trigger for the binary package.  Hence the I: tag about
an unused override.

Second, you're trying to suppress a warning in the source package rather
than the binary package, which means that you need a source override.  A
source override must have the file name debian/source.lintian-overrides.
This is documented at <http://lintian.debian.org/manual/ch2.html#s2.4>.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>