"Raphael Geissert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> 2008/12/6 Eugene V. Lyubimkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> Ok, here is example: I have two binary packages: 'qorganizer' and
>> 'qorganizer-translations'. The latter just have 'Recommends' on
>> 'qorganizer' and no 'Depends' at all.

> is qorganizer-translations of any use all on its own without qorganizer?
> I think not.  The former should depend on the latter.

That doesn't address the general problem, though, without creating
dependency loops, which we're trying to reduce because dpkg doesn't like
them and can do weird things with them.  Consider gnubg and gnubg-data,
for instance.  gnubg-data is going to have the same problem, and it should
not Depend on gnubg since doing so would create a dependency loop.

This was discussed at great length a while back on debian-devel, and I
think Ian weighed in saying that we really shouldn't have circular
dependencies from dpkg's perspective.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>