retitle 517637 [uscan] add an option to auto-generalise the search regex
reassign 517637 devscripts
thanks

On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 13:35 +0900, Paul Wise wrote:

> Hmm, perhaps this should be a job for dehs or debexpo, which could run
> uscan and be a bit smarter about checking the results and expanding the
> regex to see if it matches anything else that exists. Hmm, or perhaps an
> option in uscan itself.

Thinking about this some more and after a discussion with Raphael (see
below), I'm reassigning this to uscan, sorry for the noise lintian
folks, I should have filed it there in the first place

An option for uscan to generalise the regex in terms of the location of
the tarball and the extension of it would be very useful for detecting
deficiencies in the watch file - where upstream switched to java
and .zip files, or simply started using tar.bz2 or tgz instead of
tar.gz. The option should only kick in when the package appears to be
up-to-date and it should be possible to turn it on from ~/.devscripts.

<pabs> hey, do you think #517637 should be reassigned to uscan and
changed to a request for uscan to gain the ability to generalise regexes
when it is possible that the regex doesn't match the true latest
upstream?
<pabs> I've seen that with another package since then, they switched to
java & zip files from C++ & tar.gz
<raphael> I had completely forgotten about that bug report, I was gonna
comment on it
<raphael> the thing is that one could simply use \.tar.*
<pabs> I think I mad a mistake filing it on lintian in the first place
<raphael> well, at least it can now be used to continue discussing it ;)
<pabs> :)
<raphael> OTOH, uscan could indeed try to be smarter; but I'm concerned
about how "smarter" we want uscan to be, without messing things up
<pabs> I'd make it an option you need to turn on. it would only add
smartness when the package is up-to-date wrt upstream
<pabs> it should strip everything before the first / and after the
version number
<raphael> some time ago I started to work on the version 4 watch file
format but more or less abandoned the idea until uscan's code was
separated into a module
<raphael> one of the features I implemented was a 'magic' option
<raphael> it was meant to enable/disable some automagic version mangling
and such
<raphael> but the whole idea could be re-used in a future version of the
watch files, so that uscan could attempt to find newer versions
<raphael> but yes, I think that bug should better be reassigned to
devscripts
<pabs> ok, will do so
<pabs> mind if I quote this?
<pabs> or will you mail the bug?
<raphael> np with quoting it
<raphael> if you do, you would be saving me some time :)

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise