On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Niels Thykier wrote:

> We could do it like that, though the vendor profiles specification
> actually deliberately did not answer the question of how to add
> third-party checks.  I know some people already do this, so we have made
> Lintian behave sanely to it.
>  The official "API" for adding third-party checks (and collections) is
> on my TODO list (this incl. #359059 for those interested).

I don't think running external checkers should be third-party checks,
they should be integrated into lintian like all the other checks. The
only thing that is different for them would be the decision about when
to run them, which is IMO the role for profiles.

For example:

full: run all the tests available in lintian, no matter if they
conflict or not ;)
debian-full: run all the tests that make sense in Debian, including
stuff like cppcheck
debian: run all the tests that aren't too I/O or CPU intensive
debian-ftpmaster: run only the ones ftpmaster care about
emdebian: same as debian but minus the checks for stuff they remove
(docs, i18n etc)
debathena: same as debian but minus the NMU checks

I guess 3rd-party checks are interesting for some
derivatives/groups/individuals, but I tend to think all checks should
be integrated into lintian and the decision of when to run them be
made via profiles.

--
bye,
pabs