On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 10:06:52AM +0100, Chris Lamb wrote:
> > lintian: check for not wrap-and-sort formatted files
>
> Good idea.

I don't think it is.
wrap-and-sort (or the equivalent from cme) is not widely enough adopted
as of yet.  I personally try to have all my sponsee use it, and I
sometimes force a wrap-and-sort into NMUs, but it's still too rare.

Also, wouldn't you need to pick only one of the -t, -s, -a combinations?
I see people disliking -t (trailing commas) also because it's not in
policy, and arguments for and agaist -s and -a; see the wrap-and-sort
manual if you don't understand what I'm talking about.
And that's without considering cme's configuration.

> Alas, I fear that this would either require calling out to
> wrap-and-sort (!) and diffing the result, or essentially reimplementing
> it within Lintian itself?

You could use libconfig-model-dpkg-perl, most probably.  Therefore
elevating cme's implementation.

Summing up: I don't think it's a practise ready to be nudged by lintian
yet.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo