On Wed, 2018-11-21 at 16:44:29 +0100, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> Quoting Felix Lechner (2018-11-21 15:52:02)
> > Well, I also agree with Josch's well-articulated argument. A merge
> > request to remove the tag is pending (!72). Thank you for bringing
> > this to our attention!

I think the tag should stay TBH.

> in your original commit you were talking about "some tools".
>
> This suggests that you know tools that behave wrongly.
>
> If you share the tools you know of, then we could file bugs.

I think that would be difficult, I'm afraid the bulk of these
tools are human brains! :D

See for example #911341 which is something I recently stumbled upon.
The tools here work as intended, but the human made a very
comprehensible mistake.

I mean, yes, we could improve lintian, perhaps even some of
dpkg-gensymbols, and similar to warn or maybe not propose this kind
of situation, but in the end, any time you strip the revision in any
dependency field or similar, you can end up with broken comparisons
given the current algorithm.

Thanks,
Guillem