Hi Russ,

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 1:08 PM Russ Allbery <r...@debian.org> wrote:

> the original request was to
> suppress the tag source-contains-empty-directory if the Debian patch set
> explicitly adds a file to that directory

An override is more explicit, and also more self-explanatory, when
compared to a '.placeholder'. Could dpkg perhaps add such a
placeholder automatically if the directory mentioned in the override
is still empty after all the patches have been applied?

> The result is that the patches-applied Debian
> packaging tree is then representable in Git

I re-read our prior messages, but still do not see why the ability to
round-trip through Git is so important. Either way, the issue should
IMHO be fixed in the tool chain that processes such round trips. Then
we can remove the tag from Lintian.

> which did seem mildly
> superior to recreating the directory in debian/rules

How would a placeholder created in debian/rules (or dh) help with the
round-tripping issue? Does anyone create source packages from built
source trees?

Upon further reflection, how about we record a manifest of the
upstream sources in the debian repo? Such a manifest could also
contain checksums for individual files, which would relieve us from
all problems synchronizing signed git tags and tarball signatures. (I
once wrote such a tool but it has seen no adoption.) Empty directories
could be easily re-created from the manifest when needed.

Kind regards
Felix