On 12 November 2017 at 09:32, Andreas Heinlein <aheinl...@gmx.com> wrote:
> Am 12.11.2017 um 08:38 schrieb Borden Rhodes:
>> There were days, about a year ago, when I could write in auto/config:
>>
>> --architectures 'i386'
>> --linux-flavours 'amd64 686-pae'
>>
>> And this made me happy because I could generate an image that ran
>> natively on both 32 and 64-bit processors (every now and then I run
>> into a 32-bit processor I want to run this live CD on). However, now
>> when I run lb build, I eventually get the error message:
>>
>> Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched
>> "linux-image-amd64"
>>
>> Which, I think, makes sense because it's looking for the amd64 kernel
>> package in the i386 architecture but it obviously doesn't exist.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure that it's still possible to build multi-arch live CDs
>> because this page exists:
>> https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/multi-arch/iso-cd/ .
>> Unfortunately, I can't find where in
>> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-live/ the auto/config file is
>> hiding to copy its settings.
>>
>> Therefore, I'd like guidance on either:
>> 1) How to build a multiarch live CD (specifically, that runs natively
>> on 32 and 64-bit processors); or
>> 2) Where to find the auto/config and config files for the
>> multi-arch/iso-cd file so I can learn how it accomplishes this feat,
>> if it does at all.
>>
>> With thanks,
>>
> I am afraid I cannot help you with the actual problem, but for
> clarification: Live CDs for Debian 9 are no longer built with
> live-build, but with a different package named live wrapper. That's why
> you will not find any auto/config file for the current 'official'
> multi-arch CDs.

I read in the git repos that live-wrapper is the "next generation' way
of generating images. The documentation still seems to be for
live-build and I couldn't find live-wrapper docs online. Is
live-wrapper going to replace live-build in the future?

> If I understand it right, you want a 64bit kernel with a 32bit userland,
> correct? That should still be possible by using a hook, but it is going
> to be a bit complicated, I guess. Maybe someone else here on the list
> has already done that.

The short answer to your question is 'yes'. I'm designing this boot
disk for house-call troubleshooting. I'll normally run the 64-bit
operating system but, in the few times I run into old processors, I'll
need to run a 32-bit OS. The long answer is 'I'd like both package
sets installed so I can choose which to run'. When my auto/config file
worked, I believe it was running a 32 userland on top of a 64 kernel
when I opted for 64-bit mode.

> Bye,
>
> Andreas

I'm much obliged for your assistance.