Hello,

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018, Andreas Henriksson wrote:
> The source of live-build might well need improvements to deal with
> what's inside the chroot it works with, but I don't think that's
> the main focus of this bug report. A package relationship of live-build,
> could not influence what's available in the chroot (unless I'm
> mistaken), so the chroot is out of scope I'd say.

Ack. But as you noticed afterwards, with LB_BUILD_WITH_CHROOT=false it
would use the binary from the host system.

> debootstrapped it'll still have e2fsprogs installed. The main question
> for this bug report is 'if e2fsprogs is uninstalled, does live-build
> also have to be uninstalled on the same system because of that?'.

Clearly, no. But it might be a good idea to add it to Recommends or
Suggests.

> Looking again, for places where mkfs is used *outside* the chroot
> it seems cases looking at LB_BUILD_WITH_CHROOT being false
> and then using mkfs is relevant, like for example this one:
> https://sources.debian.org/src/live-build/1:20171207/scripts/build/binary_rootfs/#L187

This one is fine as we have a Check_package here:
https://sources.debian.org/src/live-build/1:20171207/scripts/build/binary_rootfs/#L84

So if the package is not installed, it would fail and tell the user to
install the missing package. Ideally we would not give such error messages
to the user but LB_BUILD_WITH_CHROOT defaults to true and it doesn't seem
a good idea to add all those packages into Depends or Recommends when they
are usually not needed on the host.

> I'm confused about the current status and if we agree or not.

I believe this bug can be closed by adding a Suggests dependency. I will
do that in git.

> Would likely be better if we file separate bug reports for separate
> issues, for example this typo will likely always make the ntfs check
> fail but that's offtopic for this bug report:
> https://sources.debian.org/src/live-build/1:20171207/scripts/build/binary_hdd/#L53

What typo ?

ntfs-3g is a valid package
/sbin/mkfs.ntfs is a path to an existing program

> Would be happy to hear more about if maintainers thinks we need a

(I'm basically the de-facto maintainer nowadays)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer