Here's one use case:
When I was building a binary linux app intended to run on all popular
linux distros,
I wanted very much to use lsb dependencies to make the binary more portable.
So for me, the good part of LSB was having an ABI that worked across
mutliple distributions, and debian dependencies that would pull in the
appropriate
packages when users installed my single standalone .deb.

Without that, we were forced to simply bundle all our dependencies.
- Dan